Thursday, February 3, 2011

Pumpkin Pasta With Bacon

I know this recipe sounds rather strange, but I promise it is very good. I served this with a few handfuls of fresh spinach (steamed for just a few minutes until it wilted at tiny bit) and even the baby gobbled it up. The pumpkin adds a creamy, almost cheesy quality to the pasta. And seriously who doesn't love bacon? I think the sour cream could easily be halved to lower the points value - I plan on using less next time I make this dish. I also might try sneaking in a few more veggies. I found the original recipe here - and I encourage you to check out her site - she has a ton of amazing and delicious recipes. Now here's how I made it :)

Pumpkin Pasta With Bacon

6 Slices turkey bacon
1 large onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
4 Tbsp minced garlic (or to taste)
14 oz. pasta (I used Rotini Barilla Plus)
1 (15 oz) can of pumpkin
1 cup of sour cream, light

Cook pasta. Drain and set aside.Spray pan with cooking spray & cook bacon until desired crispness. Add onion to the same pan and cook for 6 - 7 minutes. Add salt, pepper and garlic and saute for about 2 minutes. Add pasta to onions. Add pasta and sour cream, stir until combined. (You can add a little water at this point, I skipped this step as I liked the consistency) Chop or crumble bacon & sprinkle over the pasta.

I ran this through the recipe builder & found that 6 servings = 9 points plus each. Divided into 6, this makes HUGE servings, so you can also switch to 8 servings, which them works out to 7 points plus per serving. Either way, it's super yummy...so try it!

PS: Next time I will be sure to take pictures :)

2 comments: