Monday, February 7, 2011

Garlic, Sour Cream, & Chive Mashed Potatoes


I love mashed potatoes and was trying to come up with a less pointiful alternative to my normal (very) buttery ones and this is what happened:

Ingredients:

4 medium potatoes
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt (I use sea salt)
1 T butter (I use regular butter with salt)
1/4 C sour cream (I use regular)
1 T freeze-dried chives
1/2 tsp white pepper
2 tsp olive oil

Directions:

Clean and peel potatoes and cut into quarters. Peel garlic cloves and cut off stumpy end. Boil potatoes and cloves in water (enough to cover them) with olive oil until a fork easily pierces potatoes. Drain but reserve 1 C of the liquid.

Mash potatoes and garlic together (by hand works best). Continue mashing while adding sour cream, butter, and reserved liquid until at desired consistency. Add salt, pepper, and chives.

Notes:

When I put this in my recipe builder for 4 servings I came up with 5 points per serving (and the servings are a nice size). If that is too many you might try using lighter sour cream or butter. Enjoy! I'd love any comments once you've tried this! :-D

1 comment: